Saturday, September 26, 2009

Chicken Stew

I love Ina Garten,  a.k.a. the Barefoot Contessa.  I have all of her books and actually use them at least once a week.  She is probably the one celebrity chef (well, she's not technically a trained chef) that has insipred me the most.  I've watched Food Network for the past ten years, but it wasn't until Ina appeared that I actually started cooking the recipes I saw on t.v.  This Chicken Stew recipe is one of my all time favorites.  I've made a few adjustments to suit my family's tastes, but the basics are still the same.  I did not make her biscuit recipe (although I have before and it's great).  Check back tomorrow for my first Daring Baker's challenge reveal and you'll see how I served this delicious stew. 


I love my green Le Creuset Dutch Oven!

Chicken Stew
adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style, 2002 Clarkston Potter/Publisher


3 whole (6 split) chicken breasts, bone-in, skin on
3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 cups chicken stock       (I use Kitchen Basics stock in a box)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups chopped onion
2 stalks celery, chopped   
4 carrots, chopped
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
8 oz canned mushrooms
1/4 cup heavy cream  (I used half-n-half)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub them with the olive oil.  SPrinkle generously with salt and pepper.  Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cooked through.  Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin.  Shred the chicken into large bite size pieces.  You will have 4-6 cups of chicken.

In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock.  

In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute' the onions, carrots and celery over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, until tender.  Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.  Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce.  Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring until thick.  Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the cream.  Add the shredded chicken, peas and parsley and mix well.  Simmer on low for a few minutes until everything is heated through.  

1 comment:

Annie Jones said...

This looks like it would be great on biscuits, under biscuits, in a pot pie or just straight out of the pan. :)