Sunday, September 27, 2009

Daring Bakers in September: Vols-au-Vent with Michel Richard’s Puff Pastry Dough



The September 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Steph of a whisk and a spoon.  She chose the French treat, Vols-au-Vent based on the Puff Pastry recipe by Michel Richard from the cookbook Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan.

I joined the Daring Bakers in August 2009 and this was my very first challenge.  I've never made puff pastry and was excited and nervous to attempt making this.  Last week, while making the dough, it was extremely warm in my kitchen and the butter started coming out of the dough a few times.  I immediately wrapped and chilled it for a few hours to let it relax.  After 4 "turns", I left the dough in the fridge for a day and a half.   I needed to take a break from rolling dough and getting flour all over my kitchen.   I was worried about how the dough would turn out, but as you can see from the photo, the vols-au-vents puffed up very nicely.  They were flaky, buttery and perfect for serving my Chicken Stew in. 




 
  
shaped and ready to bake





  

Hot out of the oven






I had plenty of dough left over so I shaped it into a rectangle, sprinkled with cinnamon & sugar and rolled it into a log.  I cut 1 in. pieces and sprayed them with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.  Bake on a sheet pan lined with parchment at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.   They made the house smell great and tasted even better.  We ate these as a snack before dinner! 



This was a fun challenge and I look forward to the next one! 




5 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I can't decide which looks better, the Vols-au-Vent or the cinnamon snacks. I almost always prefer the savory dishes, but those snacks look really good.

Lisa said...

Thanks. I ate way to much puff pastry this weekend... must work out twice as much this week!

Sandie Lee said...

Super job! It looks like you got really good height on your vols-au-vent. I am going to try your idea with all of my leftovers.

willowbirdbaking said...

Great first challenge!! *high five*

Lauren said...

Awesome job with your first challenge!! The vols-au-vent look delicious =D.