Saturday, September 5, 2009

My first tiered birthday cake!


My daughter wanted a puppy theme for her 12th birthday last month. She LOVES dogs, but we can't have one in the house due to allergies (plus, I don't want one). I found several great ideas for dog cakes at cakecentral.com and combined a few different ideas to make this cake. Everything is from scratch! I used Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe found on the cocoa container and made Wilton's buttercream frosting. I sculpted the dog, puppy, dog bowl and bone out of a 50/50 mix of Marshmallow Fondant (MMF) and gumpaste. This kind of fondant is not only easy to make, but it tastes great. I used Wilton pre-made gumpaste and mixed with the MMF because gumpaste dries out quickly. I made the cake two days before the party, wrapped in plastic and froze overnight. The day before the party I frosted and decorated the cake. This was a labor intensive process but a great learning experience and well worth the effort. My daughter and her friends loved the cake. The smile on her face was pure joy!
Marshmallow Fondant recipe:

2 lb (8 cups) powdered sugar
1 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
2-3 Tablespoons water
cornstarch or crisco
Grease a large microwaveable bowl, put marshmallows in it and place in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat 2-3 times until melted.
Grease the counter. Place 1/2 of powdered sugar on counter, the rest on top of melted marshmallows. Mix. As it comes together, dump onto counter. Knead and add rest of sugar until smooth. The fondant should be dough like, not too dry, not too sticky. When it's time to roll out the fondant, dust your surface with cornstarch or use a little crisco.

1 comment:

Annie Jones said...

Very nice! I haven't worked with fondant yet, but might have to now that you've posted this recipe.