Monday, September 21, 2009

Pork Tenderloin with Mustard-Cider Pan Sauce and Maple Sweet Potatoes

I had a package of pork tenderloins in my fridge that I planned on cooking this past weekend, but I ended up not having to cook at all.  Friday night was my euchre night with the girls, so I got pizza for my husband and kids.  Saturday we had soccer games and ended up getting chinese takeout.  I did prepare a quick batch of chocolate chip pancakes for the kids after church Sunday, but nothing else.  Later that evening, I had a craving for cider and doughnuts.  We are fortunate to live right down the road from Plymouth Orchard and Cider Mill, so we went and picked up a dozen freshly baked cinnamon doughnuts and 1/2 gallon of cider.   Yum!

For dinner tonight, I decided to use some of the cider in mashed sweet potatoes, as well as in a pan sauce to go with the pork tenderloin    The Roasted Red Pepper Mustard I used in my sauce is from a Michigan company called Sansonetti Gourmet Food.  I picked it up at the Canton Farmers Market two weeks ago and have fallen in love with this product.  It's great in this sauce, but also good mixed with some mayo on a sandwich.   



Pork Tenderloin with Mustard-Cider Pan Sauce
  serves 6

2 tablespoons  Roasted Red Pepper Mustard  (may substitue Dijion)
3 tablespoons  Olive Oil
1 teaspoon  Garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1 package Pork Tenderloins (2), trimmed
Reserved pan drippings
1/4 cup Apple Cider
1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons butter

Mix all ingredients and rub over the tenderloins.  May let this marinate for an hour or two, or cook immediately in an oven-safe stainless-steel saute pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until pork is cooked through.   Remove from oven,  transfer tenderloins to a plate.  To the pan drippings, add the apple cider, salt and pepper.  Cook over med-high heat until slightly reduced, approximately 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the parsley and butter.  Serve over sliced tenderloin. 

Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes  
  serves 6         
                                            
3 large sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste

Cut potatoes into large chunks, boil until fork tender.  Drain and put back into pot.  Add butter, apple cider, maple syrup, salt and pepper and mash until desired texture is achieved.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

Karine said...

The combo of pork and apple is always great and I love sweet potatoes! Your dish looks delicious :)

Kristin said...

I love adding mustard to my pork-tenderloin glaze or marinade!!! Sounds delicious!!

Mandy said...

Mmmm....that is such a perfect "fall recipe". I'm from Iowa and we love our pork!!:) Thanks for your tip on my blog about the toothpicks, I'll have to try it for the turkey & cheese. Happy cooking!
-Mandy

Annie Jones said...

I saw a similar recipe this week for beef with mashed sweet potatoes and cider gravy. But I have to say, it sounds much better with pork. I've bookmarked this one. :)

Annie Jones said...

I just used this recipe as a starting point for tonight's supper. I used almost all of the same ingredients, but changed the method a little (I had only cut-up pork loin in the freezer). Turned out really tasty! Thanks for the inspiration.