Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Tacos, Tortillas, Tostadas, Oh My!

I've never fried my own tortilla chips or taco shells before, until last night!  So easy to do and much better than store bought.  I used a tall sided pot for the frying and still ended up with grease over the stove-top, but that's okay, it was worth it.  The kids loved the homemade taco shells.  They were kind of like a puffy-taco, really crunchy and not overly hard like the boxed kind.  I used store bought corn tortillas and metal tongs to help hold one side of the tortilla up to make the taco shape.  I did this right before serving, but I think they would hold up well enough to be made ahead of time.  I also left some of them flat for tostadas and cut some into chips.  Delicious!











3 comments:

Kristin said...

Yummy! Mexican food is my fave, I've never thought about making my own shells!!!

Annie Jones said...

I haven't done this for a while, but you're right that they are better than store bought. I especially like the chips. :)

Lisa said...

Yes, the chips are great. Next time, I'm going to make a mixture of lime zest and salt to sprinkle on the chips. I think that would be pretty good.