Monday, October 26, 2009

Chocolate Chip Muffins



Doesn't it look like a perfect chocolate chip cookie sitting on top of a muffin?!  I made these Sunday afternoon because I had the urge to bake something and thought the kids would like them before school this morning.  Nothing like having a little dessert for breakfast! 

I used Ina Garten's Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffin recipe to make these.  The batter has sour cream in it which makes these very moist.  This is my go-to muffin recipe.  Enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style, 2002

makes 16 regular muffins


Ingredients:

12 tablespoons unslated butter, at room temp.
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 extra-large eggs, at room temp.
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups milk chocolate chips (recommed Hershey's brand)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place 16 paper liners in muffin pans.  Spray tops of pans with cooking spray (makes it easier to remove the muffins)

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk. 

In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (I use a whisk to blend it all together).  With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed.  Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula. 

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans using a large ice-cream scoop, filling to the top.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until the muffins are lightly browned on top.  (I always set my timer for the minimum amount of time and give it more time if needed)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe today and they were magnificent. They were exactly what I was looking for...a chocolate chip muffin with a great muffin top, very moist and cake like texture. They were not dense/soggy at all, which tends to be the results I get when I've baked with sour cream in the past. I decided to try these anyway, and was sceptical until they came out of the oven. Wow...they were perfect. I got a total of 20 muffins. Thanks for sharing.