Monday, November 9, 2009

Creamy White Chicken Chili


Today was a busy day in the kitchen for me.  I had to pick-up my daughter from school early because she wasn't feeling well.  On the way home, I asked her if there was anything she wanted to make her feel better, her reply...Chicken Noodle Soup.  I love it when my kids request homemade soup, and I love making it for them even more.  Luckily, I had a large pack of split-chicken breasts in the fridge already thawed.  I rubbed them with some olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them for about 40 minutes.  This is THE best way to cook chicken meat when you need it for a recipe.  Roasting with the bone-in and skin on produces very moist and flavorful meat.   Once it was cooled, I shredded the meat and used it in the soup, and Creamy White Chicken Chili for dinner.   I found a recipe for the chili at My Kitchen Cafe and made a few modifications.  My family really enjoyed it and I hope you will too. 

Creamy White Chicken Chili

3 large split bone-in, skin on chicken breasts
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

 
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 carrot, shredded
2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
16 oz  chicken stock  ( I
used 1/2 of a 32 oz box, can use a 14.5 oz can of broth and a little extra water if desired)
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/ 4 teaspoon dried cilantro
1/ 2 teaspoon pepper
1/ 8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half n half


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place chicken breasts skin side up on a baking sheet.  Rub with olive oil, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.  Roast for 35-40 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into bite size pieces. 

In a dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons Olive Oil and the diced onion, celery and grated carrot.  Sauté on med-low heat until vegetables are tender, do not let them brown.  Add beans, chicken meat, chicken stock, green chilis, and the spices. 

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and half n half.  Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream and shredded Jack cheese. Makes about 6 servings. 


1 comment:

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com