Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hearty Ham and Potato Casserole




I found this recipe over at Full Bellies Happy Kids recently and knew I had to give it a try.  Cheese, Ham, Potatoes, what's not to love, right?   My husband and I really enjoyed it.   I would be eating leftovers for breakfast this morning, but our microwave died last night. 

The kids were lukewarm on this dish.  Young Mr. Picky Pants wouldn't eat it at all.  Miss Picky Pants wouldn't eat the ham, go figure.   Mr. Eat Everything said he liked it, but didn't finish it.   I think next time I make it I'll use regular onion instead of green onion.  I love them, but I don't think my boys liked the flavor they added to the cheese sauce.   I followed the original recipe almost exactly, except for adding a little salt, extra pepper and a dash of cayenne to my sauce.  I also sprinkled the top of the casserole with paprika before baking.  A great comfort food dish, that could easily be made ahead of time. 


Hearty Ham and Potato Casserole 

(I doubled the recipe and cooked it in a 13x9 dish)

2. cups cubed potatoes
2 cups cooked cubed ham
1 fifteen ounce can of whole kernel golden corn, drained  ( I used thawed frozen corn)
1/4 cup fresh parsley (optional)  ( I used a teaspoon dried parsley)
1/4 cup butter
2 Tablespoons chopped onion or green onion or leeks

SAUCE

1/3 c. all purpose flour
1-3/4 c. milk
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
4 oz. shredded cheese, preferably yellow


Boil your potatoes until they are ALMOST done, they still have to cook in the oven for a while longer.

Drain off the water, add in the ham, corn, parsley, butter and green onions. Mix well.

In a small pot, add the milk and cook over medium heat until it just starts to want to boil, add in the flour and the remaining sauce ingredients and stir until thickened.

Pour the potato mixture into an oven proof dish, pour the milk mixture over, sprinkle some more cheese over and cover with foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until potatoes are done. Remove foil and bake for a few minutes more until cheese is completely melted and browned.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I just found your blog and have RSS'd it. I'm looking forward to some great recipes! Always happy to support another blogger from Michigan!!