Sunday, January 10, 2010

Baked Corn Dogs



My kids love corn dogs, but I can't stand the traditional store-bought deep-fried ones.  There's something about the batter in those that tastes wrong to me.  These however, are quite tasty and I feel much better about serving them, because I know exactly what went into making them.  I only use Hebrew National All-Beef Hotdogs because they don't have any artifical ingredients and taste great.  The corn bread dough for this recipe has a sweetness from brown sugar that I really enjoy.  I serve these with a honey mustard dipping sauce, which complements it perfectly.  Enjoy!



Baked Corn Dogs
slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine (found on Foodnetwork.com)

Ingredients:


1 cup milk    (I was out of milk, used 2/3 cup half-n-half and 1/3 cup water)
1 package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting and kneading
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika
9 reduced-fat hot dogs, halved crosswise
1 large egg, beaten

Directions:

Warm the milk to about 110 degrees in a saucepan;  pour into a medium bowl. Sprinkle in the yeast and let soften for about 2 minutes. Stir in the olive oil, brown sugar and cornmeal with a wooden spoon. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and cayenne pepper; stir to make a sticky dough.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour if needed, until smooth but still slightly tacky, about 5 minutes. ( I've also done this in my Kitchen-Aid with the dough hook).  Shape the dough into a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour. 

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and lightly oil a large baking sheet. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 9 pieces. With a rolling pin, roll-out each piece into a rectangle, slightly longer than the hot dog.  Place a hot dog on the dough, and roll-up lengthwise.  Place on the baking sheet, seam side down.  Brush the dough-wrapped dogs with the beaten egg.  Bake until golden, appx. 15 minutes.



1 comment:

Candy said...

Thanks I can't wait to try. I just found you site and see a lot of tasty things I want to try. Thanks for what you do!