Monday, January 25, 2010

Chinese Potstickers



When I left my corporate job 4 years ago, my co-workers gave me a couple of books as going away presents.  One of them was the Good Housekeeping Light and Healthy Cookbook.  Guess they knew I'd have a lot more time for cooking!  This recipe is the first one I tried from the book and we just love it.  It takes a little time to assemble, but they can be made ahead of time and frozen, then fried up easily whenever the craving strikes.   Enjoy!


Chinese Potstickers
adapted from Good Housekeeping Light and Healthy Cookbook, copyright 2003 Hearst Communications

1 8oz package coleslaw mix
8 oz ground pork
1 green onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tbls. reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tbls. seasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp. corn starch
36 wonton wrappers
1 large egg white, beaten
Soy Dipping Sauce (below)


Prepare Filling:  In a 2-qt. saucepan, heat 1 inch water to boiling over high heat.  Add coleslaw mix and heat to boiling.  Cook 1 minute; drain.  Immediately rinse with cold water to stop cooking.  With hands, squeeze out as much water as possible.  Finely chop cabbage.  Squeeze out any remaining water.  Place in a medium bowl. Stir in ground pork, green onion, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch until well blended. 

To assemble:  Brush eash wonton wrapper lightly with egg white.  Spoon 1 tsp on filling in center of wrapper.  Bring two opposite corners together over filling; pinch and pleat sides together to seal filling.  Repeat with remaining wrappers, egg white and filling.

In a deep non-stick 12-inch skillet, heat chicken stock over high heat.  Place all potstickers in pan in a single layer, bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat.  Simmer until all potstickers are cooked though, 5 minutes, and bottoms start to brown.  Gently remove from pan.  Serve with dipping sauce.

Soy Dipping Sauce:

In a small bowl, stir 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger. 1 chopped green onion and 1 tablespoon sugar, until blended.    Makes about 1/2 cup. 

3 comments:

Michelle said...

These give a dramatic presentation! On my menu this week are egg rolls and sizzling rice soup. Maybe some pot stickers would go nicely with those! Great blog! I'll be back for more. :)

Michelle said...

OK, I'm back. I love your blog-- I've nominated you for the beautiful blogger award!

http://cookathome2010.blogspot.com/2010/01/picture-me-blushing.html

Laney said...

Found you from your comment on Favorite Family Recipes. I like these potstickers because they look more full than some other ones :) I have some extra wonton wrappers, and I think they'll be turning into these! If I post this on my blog I'll make sure to give you credit. Thanks for the yummy post!