Sunday, February 28, 2010

Amaretto Baked Pears with Streusel Filling



Last week, I pulled out my 2007 Cooking Light Annual recipes cookbook and flagged several recipes I want to try.  I've been in a cooking rut lately and needed some inspiration.  Too often I'll buy a cookbook, and then never make anything from it, except for Ina's books,  oh how I love Ina's recipes!  Anyway, this Baked Pears recipe sounded easy enough and gives you the flavors of a pie without the heavy and fattening crust.  I left out the nuts from the original recipe because I didn't have any, and I used Amaretto, instead of Apple Brandy.  This smelled wonderful and tasted great with some frozen vanilla yogurt.  Enjoy!

Amaretto Baked Pears with Streusel Filling
adapted from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2007

Ingredients:
For the Streusel:

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted  (I use unsalted)
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Pears:

3 Anjou Pears, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
1/3 cup apple juice  
1 1/2 tablespoons Amaretto

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Prepare streusel by combining flour, and next 6 ingredients in a bowl.  

To prepare pears, use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out the core from each pear half.  Evenly distribute the filling into each of the pear halves.  Place pears in 8x8 baking dish and pour apple juice and amaretto into bottom of the dish.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes.  Serve warm, drizzled with the cooking liquid. 




2 comments:

Kat said...

This is so neat! I love pears but have never been creative enough to come up with stuff like this. Its a great idea. Awesome blog. I just started one as well so I hope you can come by!

Teresa said...

I've never used pears much. This looks great. What a great idea for the dinner party we're hosting this month. Thanks!