Friday, February 12, 2010

Barbecue Meat Loaf


I think this is my new favorite meat loaf recipe.  We love barbecue sauce in my house.  I use it in Cheesy Barbecue Casserole, and make Barbecue Sloppy Joe's, instead of using a canned sauce.  Our favorite store bought barbecue sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's... because it's sweet!  The original recipe called for 1 1/2 pounds of meat, but I had 2 lbs. in the fridge so I used all of it.  In addition to the 2 egg whites, I included a whole egg because I used the extra beef.  I added some shredded carrot and green pepper to the mix for extra flavor and fiber.  I loved the flavor of this meatloaf.  After I removed it from the oven, I let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.  It held together perfectly and was not dry at all.  Served with mashed potatoes and green beans... it's a classic home made blue-plate special and very comforting on a cold winter night.   Enjoy!

Barbecue Meat Loaf
adapted from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2007

Ingredients:

2 lbs. lean ground beef  (I used ground round)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
3 tablespoons shredded carrot
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (I used Italian seasoned, but plain would be fine)
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, plus extra for top of meat loaf
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large egg whites and 1 whole egg
Cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°.  In a medium non-stick skillet, saute carrots, onion and green pepper in olive oil over med heat until soft, but not browned.  Let cool slightly.  In a large bowl, combine the beef, sauteed vegetables, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, and remaining ingredients (except cooking spray).

Shape meat mixture into a loaf on a sheet pan coated with cooking spray.  Spread remaining barbecue sauce over top of meat loaf.  Bake at 350° for 45-1 hour or until a thermometer registers 160° (amount of time depends on thickness of loaf).  Let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing. 

No comments: