Friday, February 5, 2010

Pita Bread


Here is a delicious pita bread recipe I found over at thefreshloaf.com .  I needed pita bread to serve with my Chicken Gyro's for dinner last night.  The process to make these is very much like making pizza dough.  I used my Kitchen Aid to do all the hard work (kneading).  The dough doubled in size in about an hour, but the recipe said 90 minutes, so I left it alone.  I doubled the recipe, so that I'd have enough left over to make pizzas for the kids the next day.  It took me a few tries to get the hang of rolling the dough to the correct thickness.  If it's too thick it will not puff up correctly, but it will still taste great.  My last one turned out perfectly!   Serve with Gyros or hot out of the oven with some honey.  Yum!

Pita Bread
Makes 8 pitas

Ingredients:
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tablespoon honey
1 packet active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
2 tablespoons olive oil 
3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

Directions:

In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the dough hook, mix the yeast, water, honey.  Allow to proof for 5-10 minutes (should become bubbly).  Add olive oil, flour and salt.  Mix at low speed for 10-15 minutes, adding a little more flour as needed to prevent sticking to side.  Dough should be tacky, but not overly sticky.  Remove from hook, and shape into a ball.  Place into a large bowl, greased with a little oil or spray.  Roll the ball around in the bowl to cover it with the oil.  Cover bowl with towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.   

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Punch dough down to release gases.  Divide dough into equal portions and shape into balls.  Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover with damp towel and let rest for 20-30 minutes.  With a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a flat circle about 1/8 inch thick.  If the dough does not stretch sufficiently you can cover it with the damp towel and let it rest 5 to 10 minutes before trying again.

Place on a sheet pan, lined with parchment paper, baking 2 at a time, for approximately 3 minutes.  The pitas are done when they puff up in the oven.  

      Perfectly puffed, right out of the oven!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! I tried once to make pitas and they came out terrible. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I am willing to try again. I'd love to have pretty ones like yours!

megan said...

How funny, I'm about to make pita bread right now! I use king arthur flour's recipe though. homemade pita is so good isn't it? one of my favorites - yours look great!

Candy said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to try.