Friday, March 5, 2010

Cheeseburger Soup


Yes, that is lettuce you see popping out from this bowl of delicious soup.  I saw a recipe for Cheeseburger soup at Dine and Dish last fall, which was the first time I heard of it.  Then, last week, I watched an episode of Diners, Drive-in's and Dives on Food Network, and they showcased this soup.  That version really caught my attention because of the addition of lettuce, and mustard.  It's different, but VERY good, trust me, the lettuce really works here.  My husband took one bite and just smiled, he said it tastes just like a burger surrounded by cheese.   I decided to garnish with turkey bacon, but you could add it into the soup for a Bacon Cheeseburger effect.  Either way, it's a winner!  Enjoy!

Cheeseburger Soup

2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
salt and pepper, garlic powder
1 (32oz) box of Chicken Broth
4 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes, diced 
1-2 big squirts of Ketchup and Yellow Mustard (start with less, adding more to taste)
2 cups  Half-n-Half
1 lb of Velveeta, cubed
1/2 of a small head of lettuce, shredded
1 large tomato, diced

In a large stock pot or dutch oven, sweat your onion until it's translucent. Then add your ground beef, season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Cook until browned, drain the grease.
 
Add chicken stock, diced potatoes, ketchup and mustard.  Let that cook until the potatoes are tender.  Add half-n-half and Velveeta and cook over low heat until cheese is melted.  To thicken, mix equal parts cornstarch & water and add to hot soup (typically 1-2 tbls).  Just prior to serving, add the shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes, warm through.  

1 comment:

B. Keefer said...

The addition of the ketchup and mustard sound good. I think I'll have to add them next time I make this.

You have a nice blog here. I think I'll grab a cup of coffee and browse awhile.

Thanks for the link back. ;)