Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Copycat Recipe: Red Robin's Banzai Burger

 
Like many people these days, we rarely go out to eat, except for some cheap $5 Little Caesar's pizza once a week.  Red Robin's Banazi Burger is my husband's absolute favorite of all time and I discovered it's extremely easy to make at home.  While browsing the cookbooks at the library one day, I came across Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2 which contained a copycat recipe for the Banzai Burger.  Whoo Hoo!  I made it for my hubby's birthday last summer and we just loved it.  Yesterday was such a nice day, I decided to do burgers on the grill and we made this again.  However this time, instead of making my own teriyaki sauce, I took a short-cut and used a jarred sauce, which I already had in the fridge.  It was just as good and very easy.  I hope you'll give this a try the next time you're in a burger mood.  Make sure to have lots of napkins on hand--- Enjoy!

Red Robin's Banzai Burger

2 lbs ground round
1 bottle Teriyaki sauce (recommend Kikkoman's Teriyaki Takumi Collection - Original )
sliced fresh pineapple 
Sliced cheddar cheese
shredded head lettuce
1 tomato, thinly sliced
Burger Buns
Mayonaise

Directions:

Form the beef into patties.  In a shallow baking dish, add some of the teriyaki sauce, place the beef patties on top in a single layer, turning to coat all sides with the marinade. (Be sure to reserve some marinade for the pineapple slices). Cover container and refrigerate 4-12 hours. 

Place pineapple slices in a separate container, add enough marinade to coat well, cover dish and chill.

Preheat grill to medium heat. Cook hamburgers 3 to 5 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. When you flip the burgers, add the pineapple to the grill and cook until grill marks show, turning once.  About 1 minute before the burgers are done, place slices of cheese on top of each patty to melt.  

To assemble burgers:  Spread mayonnaise on the top and bottom of each bun.  Place hamburger patty on bottom bun and top with 1-2 tomato slices, and 1-2 grilled pineapple slices.  Cover with about 1/3 cup shredded lettuce and place top bun on sandwich. 

2 comments:

Katherine said...

This recipe seems sneaky....it looks too easy....too good to be true to the original burger. Does it really taste like the original red robin burger?

Lisa said...

I think so. You can make your own teriyaki sauce using the recipe from the Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2 cookbook. I've done that, and the results were wonderful. However, I found that using good quality store bought teriyaki sauce worked equally well, with less work. I recommended a specific brand that I used in the recipe. I also think that taste can be affected by little things like the thickness of your burger, choice of bun, quality of the cheese and mayo. However, the important thing is to marinate the burgers and the pineapple slices (fresh only, please).