Monday, March 22, 2010

Easy Biscuit Doughnuts



They look pretty good huh?  Well, don't let the picture fool ya.  These babies weren't cooked all the way through.  Yes, I'm posting my first flop here!  Well, they were not a total flop.  My husband saved the day by microwaving them for 30-40 seconds, and they turned out perfectly.  I'm sure it was a "user error", to coin a phrase from my old profession.  I misread the directions and had the oil too hot.   I also used the Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Biscuits, which may or may not have contributed to the under cooking of these,  I'm not sure.  This recipe is still worth trying, if you want homemade doughnuts without the fuss of a homemade dough. 


Easy Biscuit Doughnuts
from The Dean Brothers Cookbook

Ingredients:


1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Vegetable Oil, for frying
1 (12 oz) tube Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuit Dough

Directions:

Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.  Set aside.  Fill a wide, shallow pan with 1 inch of oil and heat to 370 degrees.

Cut small holes in the center of each biscuit.  I used a 1" round cookie cutter.  Drop the doughnuts into the hot oil and cook for 1-2 minutes, flipping over to brown both sides.  Transfer to paper towl lined baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Lisa, stop on by my blog. I've nominated you for an award. I have to leave your blog before my drool shorts out my keyboard. ;)

http://cookathome2010.blogspot.com/2010/03/another-award-im-humbled.html

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! These doughnuts have my mouth watering! :)