Thursday, March 25, 2010

Homemade Chicken and Noodles



I have another cold... second time in a month.  My family can't seem to shake these germs, even though I've been cleaning everything with Clorox and Lysol.  Today I needed a chicken soup intervention!   I didn't want to make any old chicken soup though.  While browsing Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen site, I found a recipe for Chicken and Noodles, which sounded perfect.  So... after a short nap this morning, I went to the grocery store to get the main ingredients.   It's important to use Amish Kitchens Extra Thick Kluski Egg Noodles , not the thin ones or regular egg noodles because they will get too mushy.  I modified the original recipe slightly by adding some bouillon cubes to my stock and changing how I assembled everything.  I think it turned out perfectly.  The noodles soak up much of the stock, leaving a thick mixture of pasta, chicken and veggies.  Enjoy!

Homemade Chicken and Noodles
adapted from Tasty Kitchen.com

Ingredients:

1 whole regular seasoned Rotisserie Chicken
1 (12oz) bag Amish Kitchens Extra Thick Kluski Egg Noodles
5 carrots
4 stalks celery
3 small onions
3 quarts Water
4 cloves garlic

1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
pinch of dried thyme
salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:

Remove all meat from chicken and store in refrigerator for later.  Place all bones, skin and 3 qts. water in large pot, add 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery stalks , 2 small onions, quartered, 3 cloves garlic smashed, parsley flakes, black peppercorns, dried thyme, and 4 chicken bouillon cubes.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.  Pour through a fine mesh sieve, into a large bowl, to strain out the solids.  I ended up with 7 cups of stock.

Rinse out the original pot.  Add butter, 1 small onion diced, 3 carrots diced, 2 stalks celery diced, 1 garlic clove minced, and a pinch of salt and pepper.  Heat over medium until veggies are tender.  Add all the stock and the bag of noodles. Cook for about 10 minutes at a slow rolling boil, until noodles are tender.  Add chicken meat and heat through.  Taste for seasoning.  Garnish with parsley, if desired.

No comments: