Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Homemade Vanilla Wafer Cookies


The other day I watched an episode of Tyler's Ultimate where he made his Ultimate Banana Pudding.  It looked so delicious I decided make my own version this week.  I picked up the ingredients I needed, but then realized when I got home, I forgot the Nilla Wafers.  No problem.  I figured I probably already had everything I needed to make them at home, so I searched and found a recipe online at another blog called Baking Bites .  The dough comes together in minutes and they only take about 11-13 minutes to bake.   I think these had a wonderful buttery, vanilla flavor and were nice and crisp when they cooled, much like the store-bought version.  Once baked, the cookies are a little bigger than a quarter.  Easy to pop into the mouth!  Enjoy!


Homemade Vanilla Wafer Cookies
from Baking Bites

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract 
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  In a small bowl,  add flour, salt and baking powder.  Stir with a whisk to combine.  Combine dry mixture with the wet ingredients. 

Add dough to pastry bag (I use the disposable plastic kind from Wilton), that has been fitted with a plain piping tip.  I used my Ateco 805 tip. 

Pipe dough onto the sheet, making each cookie about the size of a nickel.  You can make them bigger or smaller, but will need to adjust the baking time.  Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size, remove when they turn a light golden brown.  Cool on baking sheets and store in an airtight container. 

No comments: