Monday, March 8, 2010

Sausage and Spinach Frittata


Egg dishes are perfect for using up leftover meat and veggies in the fridge.  I had spinach, sausage, turkey bacon and green onions that I needed to use up, so I decided to mix these with some eggs.  Typically,  I just make scrambled eggs with meat and veggies thrown in, but a frittata sounded like a good idea, especially topped with some leftover Monterey Jack cheese.  I served this with salsa on top for a little kick.  We even had some of the frittata leftover, so I cut it into wedges, wrapped in plastic and froze it, for a quick weekday breakfast.  Enjoy!

Lisa's Sausage and Spinach Frittata

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cooked crumbled breakfast sausage (I use Bob Evan's Original Sausage)
1/4 cup cooked turkey bacon pieces
1/4 cup chopped, cooked spinach  
2 tablespoons, chopped green onions
9 large eggs
1/4 cup half-n-half
salt, pepper
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to broiler setting.  

Using an oven-proof non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat, add sausage, bacon, spinach and green onions.  Warm through.  In a bowl, scramble the eggs and half-n-half together.  Add egg mixture to pan and spread evenly.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Let sit and cook over med-low heat, until sides are set and middle is still slightly runny.  Top with cheese and place pan in oven.  Broil for 2-3 minutes until eggs are cooked and cheese is melted. 

3 comments:

Michelle said...

This looks heavenly. I finally bought myself a stainless steel set so I can cook stove-to-oven dishes. This is a prime candidate for just that method! I like egg dishes for the frugality.

Lisa said...

Thanks Michelle!

Teresa said...

This looks great!I was looking for a recipe to fix for lunch today. This will be perfect! :-)