Saturday, March 6, 2010

Super Chicken


Don't ask me where the name came for this one, other than that's what my mom called it.  She got the original recipe out of a magazine somewhere many moons ago.  I've adapted it slightly by adding onions and mushrooms, but you can leave those out if you don't like them.  Sometimes, I make the chicken pieces bigger than bite sized, to save time on the breading/browning part of the recipe. You can easily adapt the quantities here for your family's needs.  I typically use 2 lbs chicken breasts because we love the leftovers... I eat them for breakfast.  I don't usually measure out the breadcrumbs, I just dump some in a bowl and add more if I run out.  It's really about the method here, more than following the specific amounts. 

This has been a family favorite for years... decades really... man I'm getting old!  The muenster cheese is definitely the key to this dish.  It gets all melted and browned over the top of the chicken.  I like to serve this with chicken flavored rice (yes, I use Rice-A-Roni and I love it!), and a green vegetable.  I hope our family enjoys this as much as we do. 

     hot out of the oven, let it cool a few minutes before digging in.

Super Chicken

Ingredients:

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large bite-sized pieces
Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs, start with 1/2 of a small container, adding more if you run out
3 large eggs
salt, pepper
Canola or Vegetable Oil
3/4 cup chicken broth  (reduce this amount if using less chicken)
8-9 slices of muenster cheese
1/2 cup diced onion (optional)
1-2 cans of sliced mushrooms  (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375.  Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.

Crack eggs into a bowl and lightly scramble with a fork, season with a little salt and pepper.  Pour breadcrumbs into another bowl, season with extra salt and pepper if desired.  Dip chicken pieces into eggs, then into breadcrumbs.  Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with enough oil to almost cover the botton (maybe 3 tablespoons).  Brown the chicken pieces on both sides, and remove to baking dish.  Keep browning the chicken pieces in batches, wiping the pan clean after each batch and adding more oil (otherwise the leftover breadcrumbs in the pan start to burn and you don't want that in your finished dish.)

Once all chicken is browned and placed into the dish (just pile it in there), sprinkle the onion and mushrooms over top, then add the chicken broth.  Cover with the slices of muenster cheese.  Cover pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes, until all chicken is cooked through and cheese is browned.  Cooking times with vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces. 

No comments: