Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sweet Crepes


 Last week,  I was talking to a friend of mine about this crepe restaurant she went to in downtown Detroit.  She described the most delicious sweet and savory fillings, which made me want to have one immediately!   Of course I wasn't about to drive downtown when I knew I could whip these up at home easily.   So, I pulled out my handy Joy of Cooking cookbook and decide to just make Sweet Crepes.  The recipe is very straight forward and "easy" to prepare, it's the actual cooking of crepes that can be a little challenging.  Getting the batter in the pan and swirling it around was easy enough, it's the flipping that took some practice.  The books says to "turn the crepes with a spatula or with your fingers" gently holding the edge to pull the crepe off the pan and flip over.  I had to use both a spatula to lift the crepe off the pan, and my fingers to hold and flip.  Word of caution here... It's HOT!  After flipping about 3 or 4 of them, my fingers were numbed enough that the heat didn't bother me as much.  Honestly, they were SO worth it though.  My favorite way to eat these is with some fresh lemon juice and sugar sprinkled over top.  Heavenly!!  For the kids, I served these with some cream cheese and strawberries rolled up inside.  The crepes can easily be cooked ahead of time, then stored between parchment paper and wrapped in plastic.  The leftovers reheated beautifully in the microwave the next morning.  Next time, I think I'll make a savory version... the filling possibilities are endless.  Hope you'll give these a try.  Enjoy!

Sweet Crepes
adapted from Joy of Cooking

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted (plus extra for cooking)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tablespoons sugar

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender, process until smooth.  Let stand for 30 minutes before cooking, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days (before cooking the refrigerated batter, stir and let come to room temp. first)

To cook crepes: 

In a small non-stick skillet, melt  1/2 tsp. butter over medium heat.  Pour enough batter to cover the bottom with a very thin coating.  (I used a 10" skillet with about 1/4 cup batter).  Quickly, tilt and rotate the pan, then return to the heat and cook until crepe bubbles and bottom is lightly browned, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.   Slide the pan off the burner.  Use a heat resistant spatula, lift the edge of the crepe and grasp with fingers, gentle pull the crepe off the pan and flip it over.  This takes some practice!  Cook on the other side until browned slightly.  Stack onto a parchment or wax-paper lined plate as you prepare the remaining crepes.  Yields about 12.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!! These is the only crepes I love, and I couldn't find my cook book. You just saved the day. The only change I make is to quadruple the recipe because they are that good.