Monday, April 26, 2010

Stuffed Tomatoes




I've decided to start serving my family meatless meals at least once a week.  I didn't get any complaints when I served tonight's dinner of Homemade Macaroni and Cheese, Broccoli and these delicious Stuffed Tomatoes.  My oldest son at three of them.  The original recipe uses Gruyere cheese and some different herbs, but I had to work with what I had in the pantry/refrigerator.  I think they turned out perfectly.  These would pair well with grilled meat, or your favorite vegetarian dish.  Light, healthy, quick and easy.  Perfect.  Enjoy!

Stuffed Tomatoes
inspired by Ina Garten- Barefoot Contessa Family Style

6 ripe tomatoes (2 1/2 - 3 " diameter)
1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
olive oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut the cores from the tomatoes, removing as little as possible.  Cut them in half crosswise and remove the seeds and juice.  Place tomato halves in a baking dish.

In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley, chives, garlic, cheese and 1 tsp. salt.  Sprinkle the tomato halves lightly, with salt and pepper.  Fill the tomatoes with the bread crumb mixture.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until tender and cheese is lightly browned.  Serve hot or at room temperature.  May be prepared and filled ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake. 

1 comment:

From the Kitchen said...

Hi Lisa: I've "visted" before but am back and have become a "follower". I like your idea of lighter and healthier meals. One can still eat deliciously in a healthy way. We often have mac and cheese for dinner (although I grew up in the south where it is considered a "vegetable side". The tomato soup looks like a winner. It's still on the chilly side here and we are enjoying soups.

Best,
Bonnie