Friday, May 7, 2010

Tex-Mex Black Bean Dip


This recipe was given to me by a good friend years ago.  It comes from a 1997 issue of Cooking Light magazine.  I haven't made it in years and I can't remember why, because I absolutely LOVE it.  When I was single, I would make this for my dinner once a week.  I would eat it with nacho chips or in a tortilla.  It is inexpensive, quick and healthy, you can't beat that!  This makes a great dip to take to a party or served as part of a main meal.  My picky eaters all loved it, so you know it's a winner.  Enjoy!

Tex-Mex Black Bean Dip
from Cooking Light Magazine, April 1997

Yield: 1 2/3 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)  (I always double the recipe)

Ingredients

1  (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1  teaspoon  vegetable oil
1/2  cup  chopped onion
2  garlic cloves, minced
1/2  cup  diced tomato
1/3  cup  mild picante sauce
1/2  teaspoon  ground cumin
1/2  teaspoon  chili powder
1/4  cup  (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1/4  cup  chopped fresh cilantro
1  tablespoon  fresh lime juice

Directions:

Place beans in a bowl; partially mash until chunky. Set aside.

Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add beans, tomato, picante sauce, cumin, and chili powder; cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, cilantro, and lime juice, stirring well.
Serve warm or at room temperature with fat-free corn or flour tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This sounds delicious! What a perfect summer meal, too. Hardly any cooking involved for a healthy, hearty meal. Actually, extend it into fall by using it as a baked potato topping! Oh yum. Thanks for sharing this. It's going into my favorites folder now!