Sunday, March 6, 2011

I'm here. Easy Baked Brown Rice

I'm still here!  

The last 6 months of 2010 were very stressful for me and I needed to take a break from my blog.  Last July I started back to work after 5 years off.  The transition was difficult and I found myself relying on take out far too often.  Blogging definitely wasn't a priority.  The week before Christmas, I received news that my position was eliminated.  I can't say I was too disappointed.  I am happy to be home again able to care for my family full-time.  Nothing is more important to me.  I plan to keep this blog going, as I love finding and sharing great recipes.   Hopefully I have a few readers still. 



This Baked Brown Rice recipe is such an easy, foolproof way to prepare rice. I can never seem to get it to turn out correctly on the stove top. It usually ends up to mushy and sticky.  Brown rice takes much longer to cook than white rice, but it is much healthier.  This method takes the stress out of cooking rice.  I hope you'll give it a try.  Enjoy!

Baked Brown Rice
adapted from Alton Brown, foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
  • 2 1/2 cups water or stock
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.
Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.  After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

No comments: